Our young entrepreneurs sure showed the snow—and our judges— at BUILD’s annual Showcase One!
Over the last three weeks, BUILD freshman students in our four schools competed against each other to pitch their business ideas to a panel of real judges. For many of our students, Showcase One was the first time they had presented to a large audience made up of both their peers and adults.
From Charlestown High School, team Dippy-O’s pitch knocked the judges’ socks off. Team Dippy- O’s plans to create customized dips for Oreo cookies and other snacks.
From the Jeremiah E. Burke High School, team Bobble Scents brought their A-game for the judges. The team hopes to create bobble head air fresheners for your car dashboard. Tom Brady themed air freshener, anyone?
Next, our freshman teams will return to their classes to hone their ideas and begin prototyping. Once Showcase Two rolls around, teams that have progressed on from Showcase One will pitch to real investors for an investment of $300 in their student businesses.
While a few of our student teams walked home with prizes for Most Valuable Presentation, we teach our students that winning in BUILD means choosing the life you lead. We’re proud of all of our student presenters who displayed grit and excellent communication skills in preparing for their presentations.
1. iPhone, iPad, Zoom and Loom are all choices of recording tools for their video presentation
2. Record with both students and their presentation in view
3. Record horizontally for the best view of the students and their presentation
4. Follow Presentation Diagram to the Right
- Make eye contact with the camera
- Notecards may be used as cue cards
•Pro Tip: Notecards should avoid having a full script
- Even when you are not speaking, don’t forget the camera is still recording!
•Be aware of your body language while you and your business partners are speaking
- Everyone has an opportunity to speak
- Professional dress is encouraged
- Practice makes perfect
•Practice how you will transition from each speaker
•Project your voice when you speak
Follow positioning format Above
Download a Sample of Our Curriculum
Fill out this form to receive a free sample of our curriculum and to receive occasional email updates on how to bring BUILD to your community.