BUILD: Bay Area
BUILD is a four-year college readiness program whose mission is to use entrepreneurship-based, experiential learning to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college, and career success.
During the 2014-2015 program year, 80% of Bay Area students are low-income and qualify for free or reduced lunch, 92% are ethnicity under-represented in higher education, and 79% would be from the first generation in their family to graduate from college. Many students also had low middle school GPAs, state test scores, and attendance rates – three early predictors of dropping out of high school that may disqualify our students from other college access programs.
By helping students develop and run their own small businesses, BUILD supplements traditional school with real-world business experiences and critical skill-building for the future. BUILD Bay Area currently serves over 840 students in Oakland and the Peninsula.
East Bay Schools
- Coliseum College Prep Academy
- Envision Academy
- Golden State College Preparatory Academy
- Lionel Wilson College Preparatory Academy
- MetWest High School
- Oakland Technical High School
- East Palo Alto Academy
- Sequoia High School
- Woodside High School
Local Advisory Board
- Maz Sharafi (Board Chair), Head of Marketing, WhatsApp
- Michael Farb (Vice-Chair), CEO, Neon One
- Louis Chang, Sector Head, Criterion Capital Management
- Danielle Conkling, Head of Client Strategy, Silicon Valley Bank
- Lynda Galligan, Partner, Goodwin Procter
- Alana Karen, Director of Search Platforms, Google
- Erin Schaefer, Managing Director of Partner Development and Service, YouTube