BUILD: Greater Boston
Much has been said and written about the dropout crisis in American cities and among minority students. Millions of tax dollars have been allocated toward improving urban schools. But is anything being done to effectively address this social justice issue?
In Boston, particularly at the lowest-performing schools, something is being done. Five Boston high schools have partnered with BUILD, a non-profit that uses entrepreneurship to help students make the connection between academics and life. BUILD Boston enlists its own staff, BUILD-trained high school teachers, and more than 100 volunteer mentors from the business community to help students create and launch their own real, licensed businesses by the end of their freshman year. As students learn real-life skills, and earn real money, they begin to see the importance of doing well in school.
BUILD works with students for all four high school years, providing life skills training, college tours, and academic coaching. BUILD also offers students many opportunities to connect with the Boston business community to develop and refine their new skills and growing confidence.
Local Advisory Board
- Roy Hirshland (Chair); President, T3 Advisors
- Amy Villeneuve (Vice Chair); Start-up Advisor and Past President & COO, Amazon Robotics/Kiva Systems
- Adam Beard; Senior Vice President, Jefferies, LLC
- Scott Friend; Managing Director, Bain Capital Ventures
- Jeff Glass; CEO, StartingFive Partners
- Frank Graziano; Partner, PwC
- Sarah McMillan; CEO / Psychologist, McMillan Education
- Jeffrey Newton; Founder & Managing Director, Gemini Investors
- Jennifer Tribush; Senior Vice President, State Street Corporation
Additional Board Members
- Paul Blandini; Director of Operations, Autodesk
- Amy Choi; Vice President, SVB Financial Group
- Karla Estrada, Ed.D.; Deputy Superintendent, Boston Public Schools
- Matt Flanagan, Founding Partner, fama PR
- Jon Frisch; Vice President, T3 Advisors
- Andrew Gates; CEO, Azigo
- Robert Glazer; Founder & CEO, Acceleration Partners
- Sasha Hoffman; COO, Piaggio Fast Forward
- Curt Hunnewell; Sales Performance Manager, Bank of America
- Jon Kanter; CFO, Goodwin
- Michael Kesselman; EVP, Innovation and Strategy, Endurance International Group
- Jon Lang; Partner, EY
- Rizwan Mallal; Co-Founder and VP, Crosscheck Networks, Inc.
- Freddie Martignetti; Principal, Highland Capital Partners
- George Moker; Director of Entrepreneurship Programs and Instructor of Management, Suffolk University
- Rob Parsons; President, Synergy Dining
- Shari Redstone; President, National Amusements and Vice Chair, CBS and Viacom
- Venkat Srinivasan; President, Rage Frameworks, Inc.
- Ed Sullivan Jr.; Partner, KPMG LLP