BUILD: Greater Boston
Much has been said and written about the dropout crisis in American cities and among minority students. Millions of tax dollars have been allocated toward improving urban schools. But is anything being done to effectively address this social justice issue?
In Boston, particularly at the lowest-performing schools, something is being done. Seven Boston high schools have partnered with BUILD, a non-profit that uses entrepreneurship to help students make the connection between academics and life. BUILD Boston enlists its own staff, BUILD-trained high school teachers, and more than 100 volunteer mentors from the business community to help students create and launch their own real, licensed businesses by the end of their freshman year. As students learn real-life skills, and earn real money, they begin to see the importance of doing well in school.
BUILD works with students for all four high school years, providing life skills training, college tours, and academic coaching. BUILD also offers students many opportunities to connect with the Boston business community to develop and refine their new skills and growing confidence.
Board of Advisors
- Roy Hirshland (Chair); CEO, T3 Advisors
- Tom Axbey; President & CEO, CloudHealth
- Adam Beard; Managing Director, First Republic Private Wealth Management
- Scott Friend; Managing Director, Bain Capital Ventures
- Jeff Glass; CEO, Hometap Equity Partners
- Robert Glazer; Founder & CEO, Acceleration Partners
- Frank Graziano; Partner, PwC
- Jon Kanter; CFO, Goodwin
- Jon Lang; Partner, EY
- Sarah McMillan; CEO / Psychologist, McMillan Education
- Jeffrey Newton; Founder & Managing Director, Gemini Investors
- Charlie O’Hearn; CEO & Founder, Summit Educational Group, Inc
- Jennifer Tribush; Senior Vice President, State Street Corporation
- Bill Wagner; President & CEO, LogMeIn
- Paul Blandini; Director of Operations, Autodesk
- Matt Flanagan; Founding Partner, fama PR
- Robin Glasco; Head of Innovation, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Curt Hunnewell; Director, Bank of America
- Michael Kesselman; Principal, Kesselmine LLC
- Freddie Martignetti; Principal, Highland Capital Partners
- George Moker; Director of Entrepreneurship Programs and Instructor of Management, Suffolk University
- Amir Nashat; Partner, Polaris Partners
- Venkat Srinivasan; President, Rage Frameworks, Inc.