BUILD Uses Entrepreneurship to Teach Financial Literacy to Teens
How will you celebrate financial literacy month? Here are 3 ways BUILD brings financial literacy education to our students:
1. BUILD Gives Students Bank Accounts!
Throughout BUILD, students have bank accounts in which their business funds are kept, and they are provided with debit/credit cards and checkbooks to access these funds for business-related purchases. Though finances are overseen by teachers and BUILD staff, students are responsible for ensuring that their accounts are reconciled properly.
2. Putting Theory into Practice!
Through various selling events, students learn how to responsibly track sales. They also manage withdrawals from and deposits to their bank accounts. As they begin to operate their businesses more independently in their sophomore year and into their junior year, students continue maintaining their business ledgers, reading bank statements, completing reconciliation paperwork on a monthly basis. With this information, students may have to adjust their financial strategies based on actual sales.
3. Working with Venture Capitalists!
After refining their business plans, sophomores pitch their business ideas for up to $1,000 in funding per team so that they can operate their businesses for the next year and a half. The winning students then receive guidance from their VCAs about utilizing this funding to achieve their desired goals.
1. iPhone, iPad, Zoom and Loom are all choices of recording tools for their video presentation
2. Record with both students and their presentation in view
3. Record horizontally for the best view of the students and their presentation
4. Follow Presentation Diagram to the Right
- Make eye contact with the camera
- Notecards may be used as cue cards
•Pro Tip: Notecards should avoid having a full script
- Even when you are not speaking, don’t forget the camera is still recording!
•Be aware of your body language while you and your business partners are speaking
- Everyone has an opportunity to speak
- Professional dress is encouraged
- Practice makes perfect
•Practice how you will transition from each speaker
•Project your voice when you speak
Follow positioning format Above
Download a Sample of Our Curriculum
Fill out this form to receive a free sample of our curriculum and to receive occasional email updates on how to bring BUILD to your community.