MassChallenge— the world’s largest startup accelerator— welcomed BUILD freshmen into their Innovation and Design Building at 21 Dry Dock Ave yesterday.
Volunteers from OpenView Venture Partners, Workday, State Street, PwC, Northridge, Ernst & Young, Fidelity, and Mass Challenge paired up with our freshmen student teams to offer seasoned business advice.
Our volunteer business coaches advised our student teams on their business plans and helped them hone their pitches, but not before OUR students gave our volunteers advice on THEIR elevator pitches.
“There’s nothing like getting real honest advice on your pitch from a high schooler,” said one of our volunteer business coaches from Workday.
After both sides pitched their ideas, our students worked with volunteers to create a poster to present to the group. One team from each of our four partner schools pitched their product to an audience of over 300 people.
At BUILD, we help our students gain the confidence to present to large audiences and communicate their pitches both clearly and effectively.
Thank you to Mass Challenge for hosting us yesterday, and to all of the volunteers who came out to support our students! We hope you enjoyed getting to know our students over pizza, courtesy of our friends at Crazy Dough’s.
1. iPhone, iPad, Zoom and Loom are all choices of recording tools for their video presentation
2. Record with both students and their presentation in view
3. Record horizontally for the best view of the students and their presentation
4. Follow Presentation Diagram to the Right
- Make eye contact with the camera
- Notecards may be used as cue cards
•Pro Tip: Notecards should avoid having a full script
- Even when you are not speaking, don’t forget the camera is still recording!
•Be aware of your body language while you and your business partners are speaking
- Everyone has an opportunity to speak
- Professional dress is encouraged
- Practice makes perfect
•Practice how you will transition from each speaker
•Project your voice when you speak
Follow positioning format Above
Download a Sample of Our Curriculum
Fill out this form to receive a free sample of our curriculum and to receive occasional email updates on how to bring BUILD to your community.