As we wrap up 2023...
Happy Holidays Community!
I want to acknowledge each of our amazing educators, students and BUILD team for all that we’ve accomplished in the lives of our young people. The success of BUILD is defined by our students’ ability to take risks and create from their imagination and creativity, our teachers’ willingness to keep students innovative ideas at the center of their pedagogical practices and a team of amazing coaches that work hard to ensure that our educators have what they need.
It is our collective efforts that have created success thus far this year and I am thrilled by what we’ve accomplished thus far this year. I am grateful that we are in collaboration with one another and are actively at work to push each BUILDer to learn what it means to be the CEOs of their own lives.
Our Year #1 students from Bronx Engineering & Technology Academy, at their kickstarter event with their mentors at Apax Digital.
I am excited that many of our mentors are back in the classroom! Highlighting a mentor building connections with our students at High School of World Cultures.
Our students at The High School for Innovation in Advertising and Media participated in a city-wide pitch competition with JobFirst NYC and won 1st & 3rd place, bringing home 3k collectively!
- Thank you to all of our educators that took the time to welcome our mentors with warmth. It has been amazing watching our educators back in the classrooms and virtually. Our mentors are a critical part of the success of our program and I thank each of you for ensuring that our mentors are prepared to enter your classroom.
- Thank you Michelena Adaleza for hosting the CEO of Kickstarter, Everett Taylor and CEO of Bernard James Jewelry who spoke to over 100 students at The High School of Advertising in Media and Advertising (I AM).
- Shout out to Ms. Primo, her coaching, guidance and support brought home another win, this time at a city-wide competition with JobFirst NYC’s My City, My Community Pitch Competition. Thank you for the way in which you motivate our BUILDers!
- Shout out to Raymond Choi, Mariana Morales & David Wald at The High School of World Cultures (HSWC), for the way in which they care for their students. Genesis Vacca & Cisse Tandia (BUILD alumni) served as volunteers/coaches at our 2nd Annual Hackathon. They were phenomenal and it highlighted just how well you’ve coached and inspired them during their time at BUILD.
- Ms. Roberts of Bronx Engineering Technology Academy (BETA), thank you for the way you receive coaching and feedback. As a new educator, you have received feedback in ways that will only lead to excellence for students and the overall school community. It’s important to acknowledge – WE SEE YOU!
Join us at our year-end celebration on June 5th! BUILDFest, our culminating event of the year, celebrates the accomplishments of student entrepreneurs from across New York City. During the course of the evening, you will get a first-hand look at how BUILD’s entrepreneurship-based program is imbuing youth with the skills they need for success in school, the workforce, and life.
- Stroll through the majestic rooms of the Andrew Freedman Home, an historic landmark with a rich history in the Bronx community
- Meet BUILD entrepreneurs at the Student Marketplace, where you will have a chance to learn about their companies and buy their products.
- Share the excitement as the top three student teams pitch their businesses, Shark Tank—style before VIP judges. You’ll have a chance to vote for your favorite team.
- Stay for dessert and conversation after the winners are announced.
December and January Dates
- Personal Branding Presentations (Year #3):
- Friday, December 8th, 8:30am at HSWC
- Tuesday, December 12th, 8:10am at I AM
- Exploring Careers in the Medical Field Panel – Wednesday, December 13th at 8:30am (Year #3 but all are invited)
- Marketing Pitch Campaign (Year #2):
- HSWC – Tuesday, December 12th at 1:11pm
- Ralph McKee High School – Wednesday, December 13th at 12:23pm
- I AM – Thursday, December 14th at 12:52pm & 1:39pm
- The Art of Storytelling Workshop hosted by Morgan Lewis – Tuesday, December 19th at 8:30am (Year #3)
Idea Pitch Competition (Year #1):
- HSWC: Tuesday, January 9th
- I AM: Wednesday, January 10th (Day #1)
- I AM: Thursday, January 11th (Day #2)
- John Adams: Thursday, January 11th (Day #2)
- BETA: Friday, January 12th