Meet Our Mentors is a series showcasing and introducing members of the BUILD mentorship community.
Meet Cailey Newton. A part of the BUILD community since the fall of 2016, Cailey has been a volunteer mentor for nearly two years. Although Cailey’s introduction to BUILD was through an internship, she found herself wanting to expand from the administrative side of BUILD into working with the students that are the heart and soul of BUILD’s mentoring program.
“I just wanted to get into the classrooms.” She said, elaborating on the transition.
The biggest theme that Cailey observed to be true in her two-year journey with BUILD was the parallel between herself as a mentor and a college student, and the high school students she saw once every week.
“We’re learning and growing alongside each other.” She said, speaking to the relationships that grow during each week, month, and year of mentoring.
This – the variety and depth of the connections that the program fosters – is what Cailey believes to be the best thing about mentoring with BUILD. She cited the opportunity that BUILD offers in being able to spend an extended amount of time seeing mentees grow as a unique aspect of the program. Additonally, in line with BUILD’s beyond-the-classroom ideals, Newton spoke on the scope and reach of the relationships that she made.
1. iPhone, iPad, Zoom and Loom are all choices of recording tools for their video presentation
2. Record with both students and their presentation in view
3. Record horizontally for the best view of the students and their presentation
4. Follow Presentation Diagram to the Right
- Make eye contact with the camera
- Notecards may be used as cue cards
•Pro Tip: Notecards should avoid having a full script
- Even when you are not speaking, don’t forget the camera is still recording!
•Be aware of your body language while you and your business partners are speaking
- Everyone has an opportunity to speak
- Professional dress is encouraged
- Practice makes perfect
•Practice how you will transition from each speaker
•Project your voice when you speak
Follow positioning format Above
Download a Sample of Our Curriculum
Fill out this form to receive a free sample of our curriculum and to receive occasional email updates on how to bring BUILD to your community.