Last week sophomore students presented to their venture capital advisors kicking off a year-long relationship where advisors will guide students in growing their business and students will learn what it is to be fiscally and professionally accountable.
Across four schools, eleven volunteer Venture Capitalist Advisors met with our sophomore business teams. Teams had five minutes to take the advisors through their pitch and then were asked clarifying questions, such as: “Have you thought about how you may be able to produce your product for even less?” Advisors also provided guidance such as how a team could improve their marketing plan and increase the value proposition for their customers.
This was not only a big day for the student business teams, but for their mentors as well. With final seed funding on the line, mentors went over last-minute tips: “Remember not to play with your hair if you get nervous,” and talking points- “59% profit. Say that, too, because it’s important to investors.”
With thousands of dollars already invested, one more school does their final pitch to their Venture Capital Advisors this week!
For more information about how you can become a venture capital advisor for BUILD Metro DC, contact our Civic Engagement Associate, Anna Susko firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. iPhone, iPad, Zoom and Loom are all choices of recording tools for their video presentation
2. Record with both students and their presentation in view
3. Record horizontally for the best view of the students and their presentation
4. Follow Presentation Diagram to the Right
- Make eye contact with the camera
- Notecards may be used as cue cards
•Pro Tip: Notecards should avoid having a full script
- Even when you are not speaking, don’t forget the camera is still recording!
•Be aware of your body language while you and your business partners are speaking
- Everyone has an opportunity to speak
- Professional dress is encouraged
- Practice makes perfect
•Practice how you will transition from each speaker
•Project your voice when you speak
Follow positioning format Above
Download a Sample of Our Curriculum
Fill out this form to receive a free sample of our curriculum and to receive occasional email updates on how to bring BUILD to your community.