BUILD: Greater Boston
Much has been said and written about the dropout crisis in American cities and among minority students. Millions of tax dollars have been allocated toward improving urban schools. But is anything being done to effectively address this social justice issue?
In Boston, particularly at the lowest-performing schools, something is being done. Among other initiatives, four Boston high schools have partnered with BUILD, a non-profit that uses entrepreneurship to recapture the interest of disengaged and discouraged students. BUILD Boston enlists its own staff, BUILD-trained high school teachers, and about 100 mentors from the business community to help students create and launch their own real businesses by the end of their freshman year. As students learn real-life skills, and earn real money, they begin to see the value of academics and staying in school.
BUILD works with students for all four high school years, providing life skills training, college tours, and academic coaching. BUILD also offers students many opportunities to connect with the Boston business community to develop and refine their new skills and growing confidence.
Regional Advisory Board
- Jeff Glass, Board Chair; CEO, Playmaker Group; Co-Founder & CEO, Starting 5
- Scott Friend, Managing Director, Bain Capital Ventures
- Michele Norman, Entrepreneur
- Michele Brooks, Asst. Superintendent, Boston Public Schools
- Richard Vieira, Managing Director and Group Head, Technology Investment Banking, BMO Capital
- Shari Redstone, President, National Amusements and Vice Chair, CBS and Viacom
- Jim Collins, President, New England Business Partners
Additional Board Members
- Adam Beard, Senior Vice President, Jefferies, LLC
- Amy Villeneuve, President, Kiva Systems
- Andrew Gates, CEO, Azigo
- Dan Roth, President, Shaser Inc.
- David Cappillo, Partner, Goodwin Procter
- Dennis Kunian, CEO, The Kunian Group
- Ed Sullivan Jr., Partner, KPMG LLP
- Frank Graziano, Partner, PwC
- George Moker, Director of Entrepreneurship Programs and Instructor of Management, Suffolk University
- Jeffrey Newton, Founder & Managing Director, Gemini Investments
- Mary Skipper, Asst. Superintendent for High Schools, Boston Public Schools
- Nancy Sterling, Sr. Vice President of Strategic Communications, Mintz Levin Strategies
- Rizwan Mallal, Co-Founder and VP, Crosscheck Networks, Inc.
- Rob Parsons, President, Synergy Dining
- Ronald Ferguson, Professor, Harvard Kennedy School of Government and Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Roy Hirshland, President, T3 Advisors
- Sasha Hoffman, CEO, ParkRightThere
- Sarah Hodges, VP of Marketing and Client Services, Smarterer
- Steve Jenks, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Candescent Partners
- Sydney Atkins Mason, Investment Advisor, Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Tatiana Bougdaeva, VP Bank Officer, East Boston Savings Bank
- Venkat Srinivasan, President, Rageworks, Inc.
- William Tita, Professor, Northeastern University